Your general dentist mostly treats decayed teeth and provide services such as crowns, veneers or bonding to improve the appearance and function of teeth that have extensive decay or are misshapen or broken teeth.  

Dental specialists get to be specialists by completing four years of general dental education in dental school, and then continuing to study their specific specialty full-time for two or more years.

As an orthodontic specialist, Dr. deRoode’s only focus is orthodontics– how teeth meet and function, how they are aligned, how they are set in the jaws, and the positioning and sizes of the upper and lower jaws.

After receiving her Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree at UCLA, she completed 2 years of additional education at Columbia University solely in the study of orthodontics.  Make sure that your Invisalign provider is an orthodontic specialist; go to to ensure that you are being treated by an orthodontist.


Go Back

More Post